Sunday, February 13, 2005

Day 48

Yesterday I did 64 problems from "365 Ways to Checkmate." My dad and I are planning on playing a few games at home. Every once in awhile in each game, we'll discuss the positional and tactical ideas in the position.

Also, I might be teaching one chess class at the upcoming GATE Mini-Conference. GATE stands for Gifted and Talented Education. I will probably make handouts: for beginners, intermediate players, and advanced players. The kids will probably be in the 4th to 6th grades, so about 7-11 years of age. I will provide exercises, and suggested books and websites for improvement. I might ask one of my chess-playing friends to help me out. If anyone has tips, suggestions, or good references, please let me know.

On Monday I bought "How to Beat your Dad at Chess." The title is sort of cheesy, but the content is great. It contains 50 common checkmates with several examples for each one. Additionally, it contains advice and tests. I really enjoy it and recommend it to help in categorizing mating patterns. Recently, I have studied some of my books and played some online games.

It is good to be back! I would like to give a warm (but late) welcome to Cetic Death, Temposchlucker, Yet Another Patzer, King of the Spill, and Fussy Lizard. I wish them good luck and I hope that they all improve to the extent that they desire.

48 days left
2 hrs. completed, 41.5 total
64 out of 968, 904 left

11 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger David Glickman said...

Good to have you back with us.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

thank you for the warm welcome.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Buaidh No Bas!!!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Calvin said...

Celtic Death, what does that mean? Is it star trek language or something?

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

It's Gaelic for "Victory or Death!"

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Welcome back GK.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Calvin said...

Thanks PMD and Celtic Death for the welcome back.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

I like "How to Beat your Dad at Chess." alot too.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Margriet said...

Hi, welcome back.
You see that the the list of knights is extended

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Sniffles alert! GK where are you?

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Calvin said...

Hello all! I just am writing to let you all know that I am still playing chess and that I am not writing on the blog due to my schedule. I have 4 honors classes, track practice, SAT study, and social stuff. It can really pile up. I have abandoned the plan until I have a saner schedule. Hopefully that time will come soon. I will try to update and continue to comment on and participate in our discussions. I wish you all the best of luck in chess study!

This isn't the end, but until later, this is Generalkaia. Adios!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home