Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Day 37

I have recently decided to apply the Silman technique of finding tactics: looking for weak/undefended pieces and/or an unprotected king. I don't know of any other ways to notice tactics, and this will hopefully allow me to find solutions I wouldn't have found otherwise.

In the month of January, I did a total of about 623 problems at a rate of about 20 a day.

Today I did 30 problems from "The ChessCafe Puzzle Book."

59 days left
2 hrs. completed, 39.5 total
1078 out of 1373, 295 left

3 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Just an ordinary guy said...

I've have been playing a lot with http://www.chessebook.com puzzles (at least while they were free <sigh>), and I'm not sure that in all cases, after seeing the solutions, I could point to a weak/undefended piece or unprotected king as the main reason the tactic was possible. OTOH, this might be just my lack of chess understanding.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Calvin said...

That is true, not always does a tactic appear because a piece is weak ot undefended. However, I find that if I can make use of something like a pin, I can make that piece weak. Thanks for your pov.

generalkaia

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Hello,

I think that Silman's recognition rules fit into the whole tactics thing, but honestly it really wasn't that much help to me at first. I would say now it's a bit more useful, fitting in with pattern recognition.

I think any immobilized piece rather than just the King should be considered. It's just logical.

Spill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home