Friday, January 21, 2005

Day 26 - Lists Galore!!!

Today I evaluated my strengths and weaknesses. Here they are:

Strengths:
Tactically (especially checkmates) fairly strong
Main stream openings
Clear games (open board)
Sacrifices

Weaknesses:
Tendency towards blunders and playing too quickly
Limited Opening-Book knowledge
Endgames
Defending
Unusual Openings
Positional Play
Lack of a thought process
Cramped positions

Looking at this list, I have also come up with a list of goals for study and play.

During study, I hope to:
Learn many more opening lines in the Sicilian, Ruy Lopez, and other commmon openings
Learn common endgames
Study the middlegame imbalances and try to apply them
Study the games of a GM with a good defensive technique
Make a thought process
Review openings and look for one that fits my style and preferences

During Play:
Look at imnalances and determine correct play
Double chech each move: Is it protected? etc.

Today I did 51 problems from "365 Ways to Checkmate," finishing the book. I also started work on the KNB vs. K ending.

70 days left
3 hrs. completed, 27.5 total
919 out of 1373, 454 left
rating is approximately 150 at Pogo, 1602 at Gameknot, and approximately 1470 at Yahoo

5 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Calvin said...

grg233
I was wondering when we were planning on playing again. I forgot to write it down. I think that we were planning on doing it on Saturday at 5:30. I think that is what we planned. Can you let me know?

thanx,
generalkaia

P.S. - If you can't get back to me for some reason, I will just plan on being in the intermediate room Green Beans at 5:30. Hope to see you there. If I don't see you by 5:45, I will leave that room, just so you know.

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

If you are going to learn Sicilian (with white) why not take a look at Morra Gambit.

http://www.insight.demon.co.uk/Technical_Articles/beatingsicillian/sicillian_beating.htm

It just might suit your playing style.

Another suggestion is to look at Benko Gambit when facing d4 with black pieces. The aim is very positional and it could help you with seeing how opening moves transpose to middle game.

- Eerikki

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Dude you are 4 minutes late! I have 6:34pm on my watch.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

I think it wise to spend time on endgames. Being able to see how a middlegame situation can easily simplify into a won endgame is very useful. Also, it gives you quite a boost in confidence if you know that as the game progresses you are getting to a stronger area for you. You don't have to push in a drawish middlegame when it is reasonable to think that you can outplay your opponent in the endgame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home