Friday, January 13, 2006

Hmmm. Endgames anyone?

I was looking at endgame books to buy. I have Basic Chess Endgames, by Fine, but it is in the old notation, which is tedious to use. I am thinking of getting Fundamental Chess Endgames, by Muller and Lembrandt. If anyone has it and has any input, let me know. And if there are any other recommendations, let me know.

I just joined the chess ladder at my school chess club, which decides who goes to the state tournament. I look forward to playing, because I haven't played there since over a year ago. I think that I have improved since then, and should give the players there a bit of a scare. :) Should be fun.

5 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Many have recommended Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual as being on of the best on the subject, so... That would be my recommendation. You can buy it as a book. But it is also available in ChessBase format on CD. Which i have myself. But with everything else i have, i haven't got around to work with it. Though i am not yet looking to be working on the endgame phase. I've got my own plan that i'm following. I will post about it someday.

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have Muller's Fundamental Chess endings, and I fnd the explainations easy to umderstand. It covers all the major chess endings. I can way without a doubt that carefull study of this book will lead to endgame mastery.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

I have perused Muller's book, and want to get it. I've heard similar comments to what anonymous said. Right now, I've made a pledge to go through the books I already have before buying any more chess books.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend to start with:

Bernd Rosen
Chess endgame training

it gives you a very good idea of the practical endgame. Müller Lamprecht and Dvoretsky are also good but you need to spend more time on these books. So just start with the book of Bernd Rosen to get an overview about practical endgames.
Good luck

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Euwe's "A Guide to Chess Endings" is a good encyclopedic-type reference, a little smaller than "Basic Chess Endgames".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home